Can anyone help me decipher this writing?!

Where are we on the tree, here?

My father's father's mother was Jane Clark, of Crieff (1890-1954) - she married the baker David Keay of Perth, and was later known as Grannie Hutton. Her parents were William Clark & Jane Clark (nee McKeith).

Well, William & Jane married in Crieff in 1881, and I have a copy of their marriage certificate. {As always, happy to pass a copy on to anyone who needs it.} But the writing is very unclear - I have reproduced a section here & I wonder if you could puzzle over it with me? In the following text, I have written the particularly unclear part in red. This page (linked here) aims to help us understand handwriting on census returns, but it didn't really help me in this case.

The couple were married in March 1881, by the forms of the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland, in Crieff, Perthshire.
William was aged 20, a Journeyman Baker, living at Milnab St., Crieff {that fits, as it is the address known from the 1871 Census of Wiliam's father's household}. A Journeyman is partway between an Apprentice, and a Master. In other words he was fully trained and employed for a daily wage, but not yet working for himself or employing others.

His father was David Clark, but for his occupation I'm stuck - it can only look like 'Scavenger' to me. The 'S' is formed in many different ways by this Registrar on the page. If it's not an 'S', then it surely must be an 'L', which doesn't work at all for me. {Here's an image of that part - William's parents first, then Jane's parents below them.}
Thanks now to Sheila who has agreed with me that it must be 'Scavenger' - which she tells me was a 'scaffie', or street cleaner.

In earlier records he's been a Weaver, then a Mason Labourer. From what we know already from Census returns, he was aged 40 in 1871 - so he'll be aged 50 at the time of William's marriage.
{I'll look him up in the 1881 census for Crieff - he was in a separate household to his son by then, so I haven't seen him yet.}
William's mother was Janet Clark (M.S. McCulloch) - it's not clear here, but I've seen her name on another source where it was much clearer.

As for Jane, she was aged 21, a Furniture Polisher by trade, living at Croftnappoch ??, Crieff. In modern-day Crieff, there is a Croftnappoch Place, so actually that seems right.
Her father is William McKeith, a Labourer in Chemical Works. Her mother is Janet McKeith (M.S. Shaw).
Witnesses were Alexander Livingstone and Janet McKeith.

(I have since then searched the marriage records for Janet Shaw & William McKeith, but found no records yet.)
Searching the Crieff Census, though, gave me some more info on Jane's parents. Jane McKeith was aged 11 in 1871 - she was living at Croftnappoch, Crieff with her father William McKeith (Plasterer's Labourer; born ~1817 in Crieff) and Janet McKeith (born ~1819 in Crieff). They had 5 children including our Jane in the year 1871. The eldest Daniel was a Journeyman Joiner.

In 1861, there were some differences in the records - Jane was named as Jean: she was the baby of 6 children in the household. Her mother Janet is recorded as born in Moyhall, Inverness-shire, rather than Crieff. Her father William was a Cotton Weaver & they lived on High St., Crieff. Their eldest then was a child of 12, Alison, who was a domestic servant already.
{I've had no luck yet in finding William any earlier than 1861. For Janet Shaw, the best match of hundreds is a lass in her mother's house in Dores, Inverness in 1841. Her mother was also Janet Shaw, born ~1791 in Inverness, a Cotter.}

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...